Started off the day in Charlottesville where we walked around the grounds and visited a few of Lance's favorite places. Went to Bodo's for bagels and Mincer's for t-shirts. I was happy to get Henry a UVA Lax t-shirt. He'll play for them one day!
Followed Route 64 out to the West Virginia line. I have not been out that way before and it sure is lovely. Lance gave the kids and I a geology lesson when he explained why the Rocky Mountains look so different from the Allegheny Mountains.... something about tectonic plates... I'm not sure, I was reading US magazine. :)
This is our state capitol tour so our first stop was Charleston, WV to see the state capitol there. We enjoyed burning off some of our pent up energy on the capitol lawn while getting eaten alive by mosquitos. We enjoyed a great take-out dinner from a cute little soda fountain in Charleston.. it would have been much nicer to eat it in the restaurant rather than in our car.
A blurry photo... not so much because of the photographer but because of the fog going over this bridge. Can you make out what it says? It says "Welcome to Ohio".... we needed gas so we got off just at the WVA/OH/KY border. We went to look for ice cream too but the only place in OH that was close was already closed! So we were in OH today for all of about 10 minutes, just to get gas.
Two minutes later, on Route 64, we cross into Kentucky. Better shot, same photographer... See what I mean about how foggy it was?
That's it for now. The kids and Sadie are conked out. We have a shorter day tomorrow. Only 5 hours in the car. Today was 8 hours. I have to say I'm happily impressed with the entire thing. It went very smoothly. The kids were great, Sadie handled it well, Lance is a tirelessly good driver and I'm navigating/organizing/planning as I do best.




Kathy said: So far it sounds like your haveing a good trip. You guys look like you did get some sleep. Rest is what you needed with all the roller coaster emotions of moving and saying so long to everyone. Leaving your home and moving is difficult, but moving on to a new journey in your lives will be an adventure. Sadie and the kids seem to be traveling great. Take care. :)
ReplyDeleteI love how Sadie is in the pics! You'll be missed but what a neat opportunity! Enjoy the family time! Thinking about you and praying for a fun and safe journey!
ReplyDeleteDanica